This recipe for cannabis cookies with shatter is broken into two steps, decarboxylating shatter, and baking your cookies.
How to decarboxylate shatter
For this recipe we are using a single gram of shatter to make 12 cookies with decarboxylated shatter. This will give us a per cookie dosage of 83.33mg per cookie given exactly equal weights per cookie.
Open the package and make sure that the bulk of the product is contained to one side of the wax paper. We are going to decarboxylate (decarb) the product so that the inactive THCA and CBDA can convert into the active THC and CBD cannabinoids that are now ready to produce the desired effects.
If you have a toaster oven available then use it to decarboxylate your cannabis a little quicker as it heats up faster than your conventional oven.
Place the shatter in your toaster oven 150C (300F) for 5-10 minutes.
If you’re looking for cookies with a more psychoactive effect then stop the process around 5 minutes.
Continue to decarboylate for the full 10 minutes if you desire a more sedative and less psychoactive effect. The reason for this is the decarboxylation process causes other forms of cannabinoid degradation to occur. Such as CBN (cannabinol), which is formed through the degradation and oxidization of THC.
CBN accounts for a much more sedative and less directly psychoactive effect.
Once done carefully remove the product from the oven and place on a plate as it is runny like water at the temp. Then transfer that plate to the freezer for 2-3 minutes.
While product is cooling down start to melt 1 cup of butter in a medium sauce pot and med-low temp, you don’t want the heat to high because you’ll burn the butter.
Remove the product from the freezer once it is tacky and start to dab it off the wax paper with a silicon spatula, don’t scrape it as the wax paper is brittle from the oven now and you don’t want paper in the final product.
Take the spatula mix the product into the butter until the spatula is clean.
Now whisk the butter for a couple minutes the ensure the product is evenly distributed.
After you’re done whisking for a couple minutes place the butter in the freezer to cool it for about 5-10 minutes.
You don’t want it to be solid again but too hot of butter will cause issues when mixing your cookies.
Baking Shatter Cookies
Ingredients for making shatter cookies:
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup canna-butter, cooled to room temp (The butter we just made in the steps above)
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup of golden brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp of coco powder
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions for making shatter cookies:
- Preheat oven to 190C (375F). In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl (I use a kitchen aid with the whisk attachment for even consistency), add the butter sugar and coco powder until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. If using kitchen aid switch to paddle attachment now. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.
- Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls (Use a scale if you care about even dosing), and place onto un-greased cookie sheets (I use a square brownie rack to hold the cookies in shape, if you use this method squish the balls of cookie dough into each square before baking).
- Bake 8-10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Let stand on cookie sheet 2-5 minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.
- Get stoned!